Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th - We will never forget.

I remember waking up 8 years ago. I was living in Chino Hills, CA and had just finished getting ready to head off to school with my sister. Drawers in the bathroom were closing and I heard my mother yell, "Kids, get down here right now!" She never really yelled, so we ran. I will never forget what I saw that day: My mom sitting on the couch folding socks and pajamas, but for a moment she just held two in her hands and stared at the television. We sat down on the couch and watched the replays of the first tower being hit. I get chills down my spine just thinking of it. It didn't look real, it couldn't be real. I remember wanting to cry, but also wanting to understand. I felt helpless and worried.

A few minutes later, after we had thought the damage was done, the second tower was hit. Horrifying.

We went to school a few minutes later with the radio on. In every class that day there was a TV and we talked about how we felt about what was going on in our country. I thought we're being attacked. What if LA was next? I still can't remember why we went to school - life went on that day, and it kept going on for another 8 years.

As scared as I was for my safety, I never once felt alone. For the record: I love my country. I love that freedom is our foundation (no matter how far we've come from that point). I also love that in a place where we technically are free to do as we please, and treat people as we see fit, kindness is still praised and love triumphs. I never felt alone. I knew that no matter who attacked, we'd fight back. WE'D fight back, as one. We did, and here I am today, 8 years later telling about it.

Praise God above for the lives that have been lost to fight for my safety, for our safety. Forever September 11th has changed how I look at the world, it's a lens I put on almost daily. There are enemies abroad, and truly there is evil that is present in this world.

So to all of our fireman and woman, policemen and women, and every branch of the Armed Forces: Thank you. Thank you for saving our lives daily, thank you for your sacrifice. Thank you to their families who let them go every day to fight for us - people they have never met. Truly the life you have chosen to lead is one far more virtuous than many.

May we never forget this day or the lives that we lost.

No comments: