Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Children are a Blessing

I woke up this morning feeling terrible. I can’t even remember how many times I woke up in the middle of the night. It might be that I have a cold, and it might be that I have too many things running through my mind. All I knew was that I couldn’t breath – physically and mentally. Life and sickness have congested my head and heart.

_
I finally rolled out of bed, got ready, took a bite of oatmeal, threw some Tylenol Cold back, poured my Peet’s Coffee into my Starbucks thermos and headed out the door. I walked up to my classroom where there was a small crowd 6-12 month old babies waiting - some laughing, some crying. A favorite of mine opened her arms to me when I walked in. Am I allowed to have favorites? I guess not. Her name is Hannah, and she is a beautiful little girl. Light brown hair sprays out from every direction and her big hazel eyes are bright and attentive – always.

_
While I was driving to church all I could think of was how I was not in the mood today. Ah how a child can change things! If you could see how she scrunches up her nose when she laughs, or how she makes noises while you bounce her on your knee just to hear herself, you’d know. She’ll be in your arms and drop her head straight down on your chest, look up at you and smile as she grabs your arms. She was enjoying herself. And with two little arms stretched out, she changed my attitude.

_
For as long as I was with the little ones, my life was much simpler. So much satisfying that I forgot the pangs of my own existence. Thankfully I have this reminder every Tuesday morning.

_
I must remember that I too was a Hannah once, years ago. It is a tragedy that I cannot recall the discoveries and the simplicity of infancy. I hope that I was a Hannah that blessed another’s heart as she did mine. I pray I never loose sight of the significance of holding a child in my arms, the person that their Creator made them to be.

_
Psalm 127:3 “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.”

Praise you Father in Heaven for the gift of your children and the blessings you let fall on me. Help my undeserving heart grasp the significance of the small things. All praise, honor and glory are yours, O Lord. Amen.

No comments: