Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Super Size Me!

Circa March 22nd, 2010.


I’ve been more introspective lately than I have been for a while – it sure feels good to be back. As I sit here with a bottle of water and an espresso brownie I snagged from the kitchen (yes, after I brushed my teeth), I feel like there are a million thoughts swirling around in my head. (or is it just the caffeine?)

I took a midterm today for my advertising class, and for some odd reason everything I read seemed to reinforce this idea that I had been carrying around for a couple of days. I’d say the thought begins with culture, our culture to be exact. We live in arguably one of the greatest countries in the world – or so many claim. Yes, it’s a lofty claim, but what do we value really, that isn’t lofty?


Would you like to supersize your order?

Have I showed you this oceanfront home? It has every luxury you can imagine at a mere cost of $4.2 Mil.

You’re only getting two?

He’s flying to New York City to propose.

Don’t worry, it’s only going to cost $24 trillion dollars.

“Cost isn’t a consideration with this one…”

If only I had an iPad.


As our waistlines grow, our country falls deeper into debt, and the state of California is on a high-speed train to bankruptcy – we seek lofty things – HUGE things even. We do it as a society, and as individuals. We seek BIG gestures. We’re used to loud noise – at all times.

Part of my essay for the midterm this afternoon was to discuss the criticisms with advertising today – most of which stem directly from the theory that advertising shapes our culture, rather than just reflecting it. I sat there for a good 5 minutes without putting my lead to the paper considering my agreement/opposition of this theory. How influenced am I by this lifestyle of big gestures? I hate to admit that it’s definitely had its moments where it got the better of me. Big gestures are enticing. The make us look and seem important to others (most of whom we may not even know), they grant us a sense of value and worthiness, at least for a time.

This may just my own experience talking, but for me, the bigger the gesture gets, the less meaning it holds. While the big gestures make us valuable to and noticed by others, the small things make us feel appreciated and loved by people we know. In more recent days, I’ve found that a simple note, a good-morning text message, and a long hug after a tough work day have held greater meaning and influence than any other ‘big gesture’ sort of thing ever did. Maybe one day I’ll say otherwise – I just think in a world where few lines are drawn and people are more concerned with one-upping another than anything else, I find it much more satisfying to soak in the small things.

Sigh. I have a feeling I’ll chew on this one for a while.

No comments: